Sunday, November 20, 2016

20 de Noviembre - Día de la Revolución

Today is Revolution Day, here in Mexico.  I found this "The holiday itself commemorates the day, November 20th of 1910, when Madero denounced President Díaz, declared himself president of Mexico and called for a national insurrection."
Our host had emailed me a link about the parade, but when I checked, it said that the parade started at 8 a.m.  That is too early for us.
Between 9 and 10, I headed into town to walk about and enjoy the day. Sunday in Merida with the vendors is always fun.  It is a great time to people watch.
But, wait -- WAIT!!!  The bus stopped and unloaded in a strange place.  I knew where I was, but it wasn't the usual bus stop.  I got off and walked toward the square. Then I heard the beating of drums and the roar of trumpets.
The parade was still going on!




As you can see the streets were lined with spectators.  There was lots of police and military presence.
I have videos that I will be uploading when we get home.  For now, I  will just show a few more still shots of the day.

You can easily guess that this is Red Cross.

Moments after I took this photo, they knelt down in the street and performed CPR on the dummies!  





After the parade, I saw this person.

Each person that gave a donation was given a slip of paper.  Okay, so, my curiosity got the better of me and I put a few pesos in the bucket and was given this:
"Life is short: Break rules, kiss slowly love real laughs a lot and never forget what made you smile."

I think it was worth the donation.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah - definitely worth the donation - ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that you didn't miss the parade. 8:00 am is too early for anything, especially a parade.

    I'd say the donation was well worth it!

    ReplyDelete